[alberg30] Phil Rhodes

Timothy C. Lackey tlackey1 at maine.rr.com
Tue Feb 8 05:08:07 PST 2000

From: "Timothy C. Lackey" <tlackey1 at maine.rr.com>

>Pearson Vanguard 34?

Actually, the Vanguard is 32', not 34'.

>He said that Carl Alberg was the designer with someone else that he
couldn't recall.  After
>checking the pearson web site,it listed Phil Rhodes as designer,could
>this have been a collaboration by these two men

No, Carl Alberg had nothing to do with the design--it's a Rhodes original.
I believe Alberg's association with Pearson was over by the time the
Vanguard was penned by Rhodes, just before Bill Shaw took over as chief
designer.  Although similar to boats like the Triton and Alberg 30 in
overall looks, there are differences that are apparent to the Alberg-trained
eye--especially the Vanguard's very pronounced sheerline which, to my eye,
is not as nice as the Alberg and Triton sheerlines and makes the Vanguard
appear hogged, or banana-like.  Rhodes was generally considered a master of
the perfect sheerline, but the Vanguard just isn't as attractive as most of
his designs.

Of course, owning two Alberg-designed boats, I could be a little biased...

Tim Lackey
Glissando, Pearson Triton # 381 (definitely an Alberg!)
North Yarmouth, ME

Body Paint, Chocolates, & Roses Oh My.