[alberg30] Cost cutting shortcuts

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Tue Feb 8 17:15:42 PST 2000

From: George Dinwiddie <gdinwiddie at min.net>

According to *The Early Years* by Bruce Beckner,
"Our beloved Alberg 30 was, according to Mr. Carl Alberg, born in
the minds of six or eight Toronto yachtsmen who were interested in
racing a class of 30-foot fiberglass yachts.  This was during the
1961 season."

Later, in a discussion of a group of Washington DC sailors, it says,
"Bud and Boyce drove up to Ontario and spent a day visiting the
facilities of the new Whitby Boat Works and, more specifically,
looking at the nearly-completed hull of "Alberg 30" number KC-1
then under construction.  It was photographed from all angles,
even including one shot which Bud took by climbing into the rafters
of the building shed.  Then the two Washingtonians sat down with
Kurt Hansen, the owner-manager of the Whitby Boat Works, and
price negotiations commenced.  The initial asking price was
$13,500.  Bud Tomlin countered with an offer of $7,500 and
dropped the hint that he could provide enough orders at that
price to keep the boat works operating at full capacity all winter.
It was casually pointed out that Hansen had lost some good men the
previous winter through his inability to keep his people busy filling
orders....  Bargaining continued until a near-impasse was reached
with Kurt Hansen at $10,500 and the Washington delegation stuck
hard at $9,000.

"With neither side appearing ready to budge, Bud Tomlin offered a
proposition: if he, Tomlin, could guess within $500 the cost to
build the boat, Kurt Hansen would accept his final, hard offer
yet to be made.  They agreed.  Tomlin guessed $8,500 and Hansen
responded that that would be within the $500 specified, except
that Bud had forgotten overhead.  The latter answered, 'Nonsense!
You own the plant and equipment free and clear and your only overhead
is your secretary, Doris, and she doesn't count 'cause she's also
your wife!'  He then made his 'final, hard offer' of $9,500 for the
boat, fully equipped to U.S. Coast Guard requirements and delivered,
duty paid, to the Washington, D.C. Sailing Marina.  Hansen replied
that that wasn't possible -- the trucking costs would eliminate all
profits.  But Tomlin persisted, pointing out that Hansen owned a
tractor and flatbed semi which could do the job for the cost of a
drive and fuel.  A bit more arguing followed and a price of $9,650
was agreed upon by both parties.  The Washingtonians headed for home."

 - George

greg vandenberg wrote:

> Is there any insight as to why the Chesapeak group was willing to allow the
> corner cutting. Was it naiveté... I doughty it. Or just a dollar issue. It is
> my understanding that $30M in 1960 dollars could buy a grand house. Why did
> they quibble over what must have been hundreds.

Free Valentine’s Day Delivery from Petopia.com.
Looking for that pet-perfect Valentine’s Day gift?
Click here for free delivery with purchases of $25 or more.