[alberg30] Cruising spinnakers and such

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Wed Feb 9 12:01:02 PST 2000

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

In a message dated 2/9/00 12:22:32 AM Eastern Standard Time, SandersM at aol.com
writes:

<< rom: SandersM at aol.com

 I have no -- zero -- interest in racing with spinnakers.  Still, there are
 those days when a lightweight yet manageable sail, tacked at the bow and
 controlled as a genoa, might make the boat move.

Hey Sanders,
you are describing a drifter- made of ripstop nylon like a spinaker, but cut
in the shape of an oversize genoa. The older ones have hanks along the luff,
but newer designs are attached at the head, takc and clew only. It is a very
useful sail for running up to close reaching in less than 7 kts of wind or
so. They are espensive to have made up new (well, expensive for my budget,
anyway  )  but second hand ones should not be hard to find.  Out of Oyster
Bay, where the wind is light so often, you'll be glad if you have one!
Hope this helps,
Lee
Stargazer #255

$10 Savings on Pet Valentine Gifts.
Looking for that pet-perfect Valentine’s Day gift?
Click here for $10 off purchases of $25 or more.