[alberg30] Cruising spinnakers and such

John Birch Sunstone at idirect.com
Wed Feb 9 16:05:50 PST 2000

From: John Birch <Sunstone at idirect.com>

Hi Greg;

I'm not a sail maker but I do have a reasonable knowledge of sail construction,
at Joe Fernades's invitation, helped loft and build our main for Sunstone - under
Joe's guidance. I learned a lot from the experience and never spite or quibble at
the price of sails now as I have seen first hand the amount of work that goes
into building a sail.

I do know something about the load orientation, cloth orientation, bias stretch,
balanced and warp oriented cloth - enough to suspect that you really want to ask
this guy how he is proposing to remake this sail. And so I would strongly
recommend you ask him, because I don't think it can be done - particularly to
spinnakers.

In fact I once asked Joe about recutting a chute and he said it usually ruins the
sail because used spinnaker cloth is so stretchy and winkled that it is extremely
hard to sew it back together without puckering or something like that.  He felt
it is easy to cut with new cloth and get good results but recutting is to be
avoided if at all possible.

No he wasn't trying to sell me a new sail as that is not his style, and that is
why I deal with him.

Cheers,

John, PS. I'd like to hear what your guy says to you.