[alberg30] rudders

Rick Leach RLeach at mbayaq.org
Tue Feb 15 11:48:28 PST 2000

From: Rick Leach <RLeach at mbayaq.org>

Dan,

Just a quick note about Russ' suggestion: avoid using mat with epoxy unless
you're absolutely sure it's compatible.  Regular, run-of-the-mill mat is
held together with a binder that is formulated to dissolve in polyester
resin, but it will not dissolve in epoxy.  This will prevent it from wetting
out properly, thus limiting the strength of the lay-up.

Rick Leach
Sugar Magnolia, #121
www.angelfire.com/ca/Alberg30

> From: Rap1208 at aol.com
>
> Dan, on my boat, if you sanded all the fiberglass away, on the rudder, you
>
> would find wood.  Suggest you sand it to clean it up, use epoxy and cloth,
>
> and perhaps light mat, to build the surface back up, then sand and fair it
>
> again.  My rudder is all covered, and you can't even see the metal straps
> that hold the rudder on  I have seen boats with the bare wood rudders, and
>
> most of them need repair.
> Russ Pfeifer  # 251

FREE ADVICE FROM REAL PEOPLE!  Xpertsite has thousands of experts who
are willing to answer your questions for FREE.  Go to Xpertsite today
and put your mind to rest.