[alberg30] Mainsail Winch

rap1208 at aol.com rap1208 at aol.com
Sun Feb 20 06:20:17 PST 2000

From: rap1208 at aol.com

Jim,

The best thing you can do with that wire halyard winch is use it for a
paperweight.
Those things are very dangerous, and can break your wrist, or arm.  You must
be new to the list, because a lot of people are discussing how to replace the
shiv at the top of the mast with one for rope.
The wire develops 'meathooks' little broken strands that stick out and cut
your hand, or another sail.  I removed the shive, had a machinist friend cut
the groove bigger, to 3/8 size, and use 3/8 rope for my halyard.  You can get
some great, very low stretch line these days, that won't stretch very much at
all.
For this operation, you will have to have the mast down.  While you at it,
clean and lube the shiv.  Mine was corroded and dirty, and would hardly move
when I bought the boat.
You may have noticed that Americas cup boats use line for everything.
The wire halyard is 1960 technology.  Get a new block for the jib halyard and
replace that too, if it's still wire/rope splice....
You will have to buy a new winch for the main halyard.  A small price to pay
for the improved performance and safety.
I have a reel halyard winch in my garage, no one wants it, can't give it away.

Russ Pfeiffer # 251

as low as 0.0% Intro APR and no hidden fees.
Apply NOW!
http://click.egroups.com/1/967/4/_/_/_/951056423/