[alberg30] Bad winches?

alberg30 alberg30 at interactive.net
Sun Feb 20 13:34:51 PST 2000

Uh-oh...I may have come into this conversation late. So please excuse..

Which winches are bad? Is a reel winch the bronze type that originally came with the A30? You stick a flat handle in a slot in  the top of the winch, it clicks into place, and you crank it. They're monsters. Or is a reel winch something else.

What is this "brake" I hear people talking about.

I have the old bronze winches in the cockpit, and one on the mast. I also have single speed newer winches that I scavenged,installed as seconds in the cockpit and on the mast, and on the cabin roof. I like the bronze, but I don't want a busted arm or broken jaw. Should I stop using these? They have been great in the past, and I never (repeat NEVER) leave the handles installed. Mostly because they're so big they get in the way.

Thanks;

Joe #499
"One Less Traveled"