[alberg30] Mainsail Winch

Bob Johns bobjns at nais.com
Mon Feb 21 05:57:21 PST 2000

From: Bob Johns <bobjns at nais.com>

Hi Jim, & List:

During all of this discussion I haven't seen this question asked:
	Why do you need a main halyard winch in the first place?

You need the jib halyard winch to get the luff tight to prevent the jib
from sagging off. The mainsail is no problem to raise almost to the top,
and the last couple of inches can be done by "swigging". (I think I may not
have the right term for this. I'd appreciate someone correcting  me if
not.) What I mean is to take a turn around the cleat with the halyard
tight and then pull the halyard sideways. This provides a mechanical
advantage that raises the sail the remaining distance. Then the downhaul
can be used to adjust the tension in the luff of the mainsail.

Am I missing something here?

Regards,
	Bob Johns Wind Call #397

What's the coolest new Web resource? It's the AskMe Page, which allows you
to have your own Q&A platform, interact with peers and earn rewards! It's
simple, fun & FREE! Get it now! Click here:
http://click.egroups.com/1/1459/4/_/_/_/951141422/