[alberg30] cabin sole

Bob Johns bobjns at nais.com
Mon Feb 21 08:12:39 PST 2000

From: Bob Johns <bobjns at nais.com>

>    From:
>"dan walker" <dsail at gte.net>
>
>hello all, this is not a very technical question, but your  advice so far
>has been great. so, is there a consensus on what to put on the  teak sole
>after sanding.

Dan:

If you are talking about the teak sole below decks, you should be aware
that, in our boat at least, the sole seems to be a teak veneer. In the area
of the galley we have worn it to the glue in several spots.

On our boat, the lazarette and main hatches were laminated teak, not a
veneer. When the top layer wore so that the glue started to show, I could
sand through the worn teak and glue and expose a fresh layer of teak.
However, I think that the sole is one layer of teak on plywood, so  you
should be careful not to do much sanding. We didn't varnish the sole, just
oiled it. (The varnish might give the teak better resistance to wear.)

Regards,
	Bob Johns, Wind Call #397

GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds!  Get rates as low as 2.9%
Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees.  Apply NOW!
http://click.egroups.com/1/915/4/_/_/_/951149734/