[alberg30] GPS mount

Michael Grosh mgrosh at shore.intercom.net
Sat Feb 26 13:58:02 PST 2000

From: "Michael Grosh" <mgrosh at shore.intercom.net>

Both the GPS and the DGPS units I have used consistently show .2-.3 knots
when I am tied up to a dock. But, when I actually am underway, it's
indicated speed appears to be much more accurate than what I can calculate
by other means-it gives extremely accurate ETA's to specified waypoints, for
instance. I just don't know what the deal is with the at dock underway
speed.

I have a paddle wheel knotmeter on Checkmate. If I was to do it over again,
I would go with the GPS. I have spent more on a  replacement paddlewheel
than what GPS units now go for.

I was watching the readout the other day-this thing reads out lat/long down
to 1/1000 of a minute. I was moving at about 6.5 knots, the GPS updates
itself 1/sec.and the 1/1000 column was skipping digits (2,4,6,8,...)I don't
know what that breaks down to in feet, but it's not very much.

Michael

Tired of missing calls while online? Now you can surf the Internet
without worrying about missing important calls! CallWave's FREE
Internet Answering Machine lets you hear who's calling while online.
http://click.egroups.com/1/1927/4/_/476031/_/951602541/