[alberg30] GPS mount

John Birch sunstone at idirect.com
Sat Feb 26 12:11:53 PST 2000

Hi Sanders;

We have a Garmin 120, now upgraded to the 128 model with external patch antenna.

Mount the antenna on the pushpit - clear of life rings, BBQ, etcetera with
whatever brand you use.
You will likely have trouble with signal loss if mounted with an internal
antenna at the old compass location, particularly with a dodger and people near
by.

If you want an accurate knot meter, buy one (knot meter, that is). There are
several relatively inexpensive models available - suggest mounting the impeller
forward as close to the centreline as reasonable and where you can get at it
inside.  It was a mistake when Whitby mounted the Sumlogs aft on the keel side,
guaranteeing inaccuracy on one tack due to turbulence.

A GPS is very useful and a good aid to navigation but its very short term speed
accuracy for incremental trim changes is questionable.  It is much more accurate
measuring speed/distance and course overtime, when the randomness of SA is
cancelled out.

Personally I wouldn't spend the extra coin on the Differential System - but many
do, to each their own.

There my nickel's up. ; )

Cheers,

John, Sunstone KC-65