[alberg30] GPS mount

Timothy C. Lackey tlackey1 at maine.rr.com
Sat Feb 26 11:07:36 PST 2000

From: "Timothy C. Lackey" <tlackey1 at maine.rr.com>

All GPS--whether differential or not--provide very relaible and accurate
SPEED OVER GROUND readings.  They do not provide speed through the water as
a knotmeter does.  Differential GPS provides a correction to the satellite
signal to correct for the government's random downgrading of the original
signal and therefore may provide more accuracy (assuming that the original
signal is even downgraded, which it probably isn't much of the time; it's a
random (called "selective availability" or SA) manipulation of the signal,
and the amount, if any, varies from nothing to within a reasonable limit).
However, it is only speed over the ground--useful readings, to be sure, but
different than what your knotmeter will tell you.

For navigational purposes, speed over the ground is what is important--it is
what will tell you how long you have to go, etc.  It invisibly takes into
account all external forces--current, set, drift, etc. and is more accurate
in the long run than a knotmeter.  For your purposes, Sanders, it WILL work
as a very accurate knotmeter, because it does measure the speed over ground
instead of simply speed through the water.  Example:  Say you're heading due
east at 5 knots through a 3 knot westerly current.  You're only making 2
knots over the ground, and this is the value your GPS will give you.  If you
calculate ETA based on your knotmeter, and not knowing the exact current,
you'd probably come up with a time far earlier than you will really arrive.
The GPS speed given on the screen would be dead-on accurate at all times,
however.

Get a GPS--you won't be disappointed.  Like all electronics, it has its
limitations, but it is an excellent, accurate, reliable system.

Tim