[alberg30] GPS mount

sandersm at aol.com sandersm at aol.com
Sat Feb 26 10:50:41 PST 2000

From: sandersm at aol.com

In a message dated 2/26/00 1:29:02 PM, mgrosh at shore.intercom.net writes:

<< For what it is worth, for the last several months I have been using a DGPS

(Differential) which is the Coast Guards patch to restore accuracy to the

DOD system (I know, I know, but this is the US Gov't we are talking here

:) ) and it's accuracy is impressive.  >>

Does the DGPS unit provide reliable speed readings?  I must confess (having
undue confidence in my piloting and dead reckoning skills) that I was totally
uninterested in GPS until the yard told me what a help it would be as a
knotmeter.  I'm not interested in holing my hull for a knotmeter, but the
thought of having a way to measure speed and pinpoint location with one
no-hassle instrument does appeal to me.  Bob's remarks about GPS's
uselessness as a knotmeter lead me back to my original inclination to avoid
all electronics.  Unless, perhaps, the DGPS solves the problems Bob mentions.
 Does it?

Sanders McNew
WILD ELF  (# 297)

One email address - many people!