[alberg30] GPS mount

alberg30 alberg30 at interactive.net
Sat Feb 26 09:41:00 PST 2000

From: "alberg30" <alberg30 at interactive.net>

Sanders:

The fold-away step in the cockpit works well for an external speaker we have
installed there. The speaker has suffered no damage as the step protects it
well. The speaker is water-proof, and has suffered no weather damage there,
either.

I don't know about the GPS. The real question, as you stated, would be
weather-resistance, I think.  I recently mounted my GPS, a Meridian XL
handheld unit, on a bracket that is attached to my Skippers Nav Helper
http://userweb.interactive.net/~alberg30/navhlpr.html (read: shameless
plug). In the spot where I previously put the brass hook, I mounted the GPS
bracket. It is accessible to the cockpit, gets a clean signal because its
close to the open companionway, and it's still protected from getting kicked
or smacked around.

My GPS bracket is a stationary fix-mounted clip type. Perhaps, a swinging
mount would allow you to see the GPS from outside in the cockpit, but then
you can swing it out of the way afterwards.

Something to think about,

Joe #499
"One Less Traveled"