[alberg30] GPS mount

Guy Lalonde lalondegc at videotron.ca
Sat Feb 26 10:26:41 PST 2000

From: Guy Lalonde <lalondegc at videotron.ca>

Saunders,

­>Apart from telling me how to find my way in the fog (at least of the
atmospheric kind) they note that the unit can serve as a >knotmeter, which
would be nice when trying different sail trims.

Not sure about accuracy of a GPS as a knotmeter because of Selective
Availability (SA). And the displayed speed between 2 positions would assume
you sailed between those 2 positions in a straight line which may not always
be the case.

But if you only need to know approx speed, then what the hell.

A real knotmeter will give you speed on the water whereas the gps will give
you speed made good between 2 points. I could be way off here and would
appreciate any body confirming or correcting me on this.

My 2 cents.

Guy