[alberg30] Inspection Hatch / Deck Plate

Rabbit649 at AOL.com Rabbit649 at AOL.com
Sun Feb 27 16:03:45 PST 2000

From: Rabbit649 at AOL.com

dear Lee,
    I, too, have been planning the cockpit hatch job for when I can get the
time and afford the aluminum hatch. In fact, I'm forced to do it, to correct
a bad installation of an amateur 'inspection plate' installed by the previous
owner when he hastily installed an Edson wheel by chopping (and believe me
that's not too strong a word) through the cockpit sole.
    But I've always wondered about compromising strength. The boat, for all
that it's overbuilt, still gets a great deal of its stiffness from the
integrity of the deck mold as a whole (including the cockpit walls and sole).
There is no question that any removal of material, any opening, especially a
square one with small radius corners, weakens the boat. The books say "put
back around the hole as much material as you remove" so 18" x 22" x 5/8"
gives you the amount of material you removed, and then you have to design it
into a lip which stiffens the opening. I've always thought the way to go is
to cut a triangular cross section of foam and glue it around the opening
underneath, then glass over heavily. Then you have a kind of sleeve around
the opening for the full depth of the aluminum hatch frame, which is braced
at a 45 degree angle up to the deck, with extra glass around the corners,
where forces on the sole are likey to concentrate. Wish I could send a
drawing. Can you visualize what I mean?
    What do you think?
Regards,
Paul
#23 Ashwagh

In a message dated 2/27/00 2:24:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
finnus505 at aol.com writes:

> From: finnus505 at aol.com
>
>  Hi Guy,
>  I put a Bomar access panel in my cockpit sole to get access to my engine
>  water pump, the stuffing box, and the cockpit scupper through hulls.
>  I bought the biggest one they make, I think it's about 18" x 22" if I
>  remember correctly.  I got it through West Marine.  It cost about 60
dollars.

>  It is a plastic access hatch, and I was alitlle dissapointed when I felt
it
>  give a little more than I would have liked when I stood on it.  I could
>  easily see someone going through it if they were jumping into the cockpit,
>  either because they didnt know better, or what.  So I made a plywood cover
>  for it, until I can make a nice strong teak cockpit grating.
>  There are aluminum access panels, or manhole covers, available, and though
>  they run in the hundreds of dollars, oviously they are stronger, and
require

>  no protection for themselves.  Hamilton Marine in Maine has a bunch in
their

>  catalogue.
>  Cutting out the hole is no fun-the cockpit sole in the A30 is quite a
>  laminate. On ours, 255, there were two layers of masonit core, sandwiched
in

>  heavy glass laminates.  I used a sawsall to cut the opening.  The glass
> dulls
>  the blade quickly!!!
>  It's a very worthwhile project though.
>  Hope this helps,
>  Lee
>  Stargazer #255

Start your own free email group on eGroups.
http://click.egroups.com/1/1884/4/_/476031/_/951696235/