[alberg30] Inspection Hatch / Deck Plate

finnus505 at aol.com finnus505 at aol.com
Sun Feb 27 11:23:44 PST 2000

From: finnus505 at aol.com

Hi Guy,
I put a Bomar access panel in my cockpit sole to get access to my engine
water pump, the stuffing box, and the cockpit scupper through hulls.
I bought the biggest one they make, I think it's about 18" x 22" if I
remember correctly.  I got it through West Marine.  It cost about 60 dollars.
It is a plastic access hatch, and I was alitlle dissapointed when I felt it
give a little more than I would have liked when I stood on it.  I could
easily see someone going through it if they were jumping into the cockpit,
either because they didnt know better, or what.  So I made a plywood cover
for it, until I can make a nice strong teak cockpit grating.
There are aluminum access panels, or manhole covers, available, and though
they run in the hundreds of dollars, oviously they are stronger, and require
no protection for themselves.  Hamilton Marine in Maine has a bunch in their
catalogue.
Cutting out the hole is no fun-the cockpit sole in the A30 is quite a
laminate. On ours, 255, there were two layers of masonit core, sandwiched in
heavy glass laminates.  I used a sawsall to cut the opening.  The glass dulls
the blade quickly!!!
It's a very worthwhile project though.
Hope this helps,
Lee
Stargazer #255

Tired of missing calls while online? Now you can surf the Internet
without worrying about missing important calls! CallWave's FREE
Internet Answering Machine lets you hear who's calling while online.
http://click.egroups.com/1/1927/4/_/476031/_/951679428/