[alberg30] bilge/keel

Rick Leach rleach at mbayaq.org
Mon Feb 28 20:09:44 PST 2000

From: Rick Leach <rleach at mbayaq.org>

Dan,

What you're looking at is the top of the iron ballast.  I found much the
same thing on #121.  When Whitby "glassed" over the ballast they only put
the glass tabbing along the edges, but covered the whole surface with resin.
Unfortunately, un-reinforced resin have very little strength and almost all
of it had broken away from the middle 4 to 6 inches leaving the iron
exposed.  I found this somewhat disturbing, considering the destructive
forces that can be developed by expanding rust.  In the two after-most
compartments I found platforms glassed-in below the cabin sole, but above
the keel top.  These served as the bottom of the battery compartments.
Taking the somewhat extreme approach, I cut these out to gain access to the
full length of the keel top.  Everything was very grungy.  After much effort
scrubbing with Simple Green and a bristle brush, I prepped the whole area
for epoxy and glass (too much fun for most sane people), by grinding down to
clean laminate and running a heater and fan through the spaces to get things
as dry an possible.  After glassing with System 3 epoxy and a couplke of
layers of 6 oz. cloth I painted the works with white Petit Easypoxy.  I
never bothered with replacing the battery platforms.  I moved them up and
outboard to below where the old upright icebox once lived.  I never like the
idea of batteries in the bilge.

I'll be the first to admit that not everyone would be prepared to take the
same approach, but I think it would be wise to try to take some action to
clean-up and seal the keel top.  It's true that there are no "war stories"
of peoples keels blowing out from ballast rusting, but then again I figure
that these boats are probably only a quarter of the way through their
service life!

Rick Leach
Sugar Magnolia, #121

Luck o' the Irish! Get your St. Paddy's day party supplies at
GreatEntertaining.com today. Green salami, brew kits, shamrock
confetti, gold coins, & more. Erin Go Bragh!
http://click.egroups.com/1/2042/4/_/476031/_/951797144/