[alberg30] getting to insulation

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Fri Jan 14 06:10:42 PST 2000

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

In a message dated 1/13/00 1:16:47 AM Eastern Standard Time, Rap1208 at aol.com
writes:

<< Lee
 I'm wondering what, or how you did to get at the insulation in the Ice
chest.
  I think I ned to do that.
 Rus Pfeiffer

Hi Russ,

Ugh, it was an ugly job.  I took out the inside of the ice box with a
saws-all, an old milwaukee tool I have.  In the choice between preserving the
teak plywood exterior to get at the insulation, or the fiberglass interior, I
chose to not disturb the teak. Granted, I could have removed the bungs from
the teak, unfastened it, replaced the insulation, then replaced the teak, but
it would have meant refinishing the teak, once the varnish was disturbed, and
I really like the 'patina' of the 33 year old varnish.  It is in good shape,
and once you  sand it off and refinish, it would not look as nice for another
33 years!!
If you look in Cruising World and Soundings, etc. new insulation materials
are advertised that sound excellent, and with the location by the engine,
probably necessary.  I haven't decided which one I am going to go with when I
get back to this project.
Remember, I have the 'old' front loading ice box, pre-hull 400 or so design.
If you have the 'new' top loading ice box, and the exterior is formica, it
might be easier to dissasemble the OUTSIDE, replace the insulation, and then
rebuild the icebox around the new insulation.  then the molded inside of the
icebox will remain intact.  On my boat, the inside was a heavy, nicely made
fiberglass and gelcoated molding, and I felt bad cutting it up. It will be a
bit of work replacing it, I'm sure.

The reason I felt obligated to tackle this job in the first place, had little
to do with keeping my food cold, but rather to get access to my engine.  When
the previous owner installed the rebuilt Volvo MD 11C, he paid little
attention to maintanance access, and there was no way to visualize the fuel
pump, which is on the left side of the engine, right up against the ice box.
Because of the location of the engine in the A30, and the configuration of
the Volvo,it was not the best choice for this boat. He had cut a 'tunnel' in
the bulkhead under the ice box, but lying on the bunk, with your arms in this
tunnel, you couldn't see what you were doing.  If the fuel pump diaghrgm ever
needed replacing while I was out, I would be sunk.  The only way to be able
to get to the fuel pump in a realistic way was to remove the bottom of the
ice box.  What I am going to do, is rebuild the ice box in such a way that
the bottom of the ice box is removeable, ie; It will be like a tray, 6 inches
deep to accomodate melting ice water and still be waterproof, and this 'tray'
will seal on a waterproof lip, 6 inches up from the bottom of the
compartment.  I'll fit the tray with a drain, etc.  If engine trouble rears
it's ugly head, we can put the ice and food in coolers, take the tray out,
and really see the engine.  I hate having to do surgery at the end of dark
tunnels- I like being able to see what I am doing.  Likewise, the cockpit
sole access hatch lets me really get to my water pump on the back of the
engine, and those pesky cockpit scupper seacocks.
Hope this helps,
Lee
Stargazer #255

Sign up for eLerts at: