[alberg30] Questions on toe rail and genoa track repair

Dan Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Fri Jan 21 11:31:52 PST 2000

From: Dan Sternglass <dans at stmktg.com>

Hello,

I need to make 2 repairs to my 1966 A-30:

(1) I need to replace the wood under the Genoa tracks. It appears that
the bolts go all the way through the deck, and thus that the nuts can
only be reached by cutting into the fiberglass behind the storage
cabinets.

(2) In a related vein, about 2 feet of toe rail is rotted, port side,
aft starting at about the front of the cockpit. I could use the existing
piece for a pattern, or have a local shop make me the piece. With
regards to removing and installing, it apears that the bolts go through
in the same manner as the genoa track bolts. Do I also have ot cut
fiberglass to gain access to the nuts?

Any comments from anyone who has done these jobs would be appreciated. I
have not yet checked the maintenance manual, is there information on
this there?

Thanks,

--Dan Sternglass
dans at stmktg.com
"Watcher of the Skies" 1966, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY