[alberg30] Re: Childers and The Riddle Of The Sands

Scott Wallace tristan at one.net
Fri Jan 21 15:52:44 PST 2000

From: Scott Wallace <tristan at one.net>

More on Childers...from The Riddle of the Sands by Erskine Childers, published
by Penguin Books - Forward _

"...Erskine Childers was born in 1870 (June 25, 1870 from library research) to
Anglo-Irish parents and brought up in Ireland.
He was educated at Haileybury and Trinity College, Cambridge and from 1895 to
1910 was a clerk in the House of Commons, spending part of his holidays sailing
the North Sea and the Channel in a tiny yacht and exploring the shoals of the
German, Dutch and Danish coasts.  He volunteered at the outbreak of the South
African war, and afterwards wrote a personal record, In the Ranks of the C.I.V.
the fifth volume of the Times History of the War in South Africa, and two other
books exposing the antiquated use of the Calvary against modern armaments.  The
Riddle of the Sands appeared in 1903.  On a visit to Boston (Massachusetts - see
what a hotbead of Irish unrest Boston is!) he met Mary (Molly) Alden Osgood,
whom he married in 1904.  In 1910 he resigned his post in the House of Commons
to be free to work for the Irish cause, and in 1911 published The Framework of
Home Rule, advocating full dominion status for Ireland.  In World War I he did
reconnaisance work in the R.N.A.S., served in the R.N.V.R., and as Intelligence
Officer.  He was awarded the D.S.C. (Distinguished Service Cross).  After the
war was completed he settled in Ireland to work and write for its complete
independence.  When the Free State was established he joined the Republican
Army, and was one of the many leaders who were arrested and shot in the tragic
civil war the followed.  John Buchanan later wrote of him 'no revolution ever
produced a nobler or purer spirit'"

Foreward by Geoffrey Household, 1978
Reprinted 1987, Penguin BooksLtd., 27 Wright's Lane, London England

I really enjoyed reading the book and have reread it probably three times so
far!

Scott Wallace, sailor of Spindrift, Pearson Electra 216 designed by Carl
Alberg...first there was the Triton, then the 22'6" Electra midget cruiser, then
the daysailer version of the Electra, the Ensign, largest keelboat class in
America.

Sign up for eLerts at: