[alberg30] gunnel guard for dinks

Horton, Ross G. rhorton at pwcgov.org
Mon Jan 24 08:25:28 PST 2000

From: "Horton, Ross G." <rhorton at pwcgov.org>

	I used a piece of used 3 inch fire hose with a piece of 3/4 in line
in it as a gunnel guard on a homebuilt Nutshell pram.  The fire hose usually
has two layers of a very tough fabric with a rubber-like substance bonded to
the interior layer.  I cut the hose in appropriate lengths with a hacksaw
and pulled the outside cover off.  I then inserted the old line in the hose
and fastened it to the gunnel with small stainless screws with washers.
You could also use the whole hose without the line.
	Fasten the top first by laying the hose to the inside of the gunnel
screwing it down every 3 inches or so and then folding the hose over the top
of the screws so that they do not show from the outside.  Then fasten the
bottom edge.  The fabric can be cleaned up with bleach and detergent and
looks good after 5 years.  Fire hose gets thrown out by fire departments all
the time and I got it for free.   Larger fire hose is also great as a guard
on docks and pilings.

Ross Horton
Delphi, #40