[alberg30] Alberg 30, Texas review

dai at pdq.net dai at pdq.net
Sat Jan 29 18:26:27 PST 2000

From: "dai at pdq.net" <dai at pdq.net>

I went aboard her for about 3 hours today, and then spent time poking on
a 30 cape Dory and Bristol 29.9, private owners. I missed the early appt
with another 29.9 owner, as surprise, the same son that kept me away
from Kemah last week, found this was the last sat. to sign up for Little
League(sr division) and tryout. I got him signed up )150.00. But turns out
the tryouts were at noon, alas, the literature on the recorder said 9.

He missed that but heck: They know him anyway and it doesn't make much
difference who drafts him. Damned little league coaches are baby sitters
anyway. I will coach him(8 years little league, 5 years select and semi-pro
coaching and teaching experience.

Back to the Alberg. My personal survey found further difficulties. The
spreaders are shot (wood). The hatch cover (It is wood by the way with a
fiber glass sheet glued across the top will have to be (who knows--laminate
teak or mahogany on the surface? Jeez. The electronics were updated. The
boat won't meet standard on the head. No macerator either. Former is a cheap
fix. The boat has no moister in the hull or in the core. There appears to be
no structural soft spots on the deck or cabin top. The mast was restepped and
reinforce )has a stainless brace across the bulkhead...so it was damage and
refiberglassed... then strengthen with 1/8" approximately, stainless steel
support bolted across the top beneath the cabin. The engine looks good. A
head holding tank has been built beneath the vberth forward. All of that looks
in good condition. But no locking mech. and that has to be dealt with. The
coaming board around the cockpit is pretty bad on one side as is the toe
rail on the stern. The rest is all cosmetic but a lot of work. All wood work
below is mahogany and all of it needs to be redone.

Good things: two burner propane stove, oven, and a 110 small microwave. There
is a force 10 alcohol heating stove which appears in perfect condition.
The sails are a bit dirty but good (but I didn't see all the sails).

A lot of condensation and mildew for'ard, but I suppose that is from
being closed up and moist from the heat and recent cold rainy weather.

I took my friend who has the 29.9. He showed me as well, a grampian 26 in
great condition...a friends boat.

His appraisal was very similar to mine. I explained what I found Buc to be
on line which was gulf, poor condition around 8k. The owner is remote asking
14.9. With knowledge of the electrolisis problem with prop and shaft (probably
worse) and if it does have this I suppose the rudder itself will need
attention at for the metal attachments where glassed in the offering I
should make goes along with the 5k or less value as recommended by a couple
of the a30 OWNERS on the list.

I am going to mull this over the week. Heck: It was in the 30s this morning
at Galveston and No one was looking at boats in Texas but me. Had a fine
seafood dinner at the clear lake seaway entrance with my older son, who
grew bored with the whole day about an hour into it.

My sailing acquaintence ended up with much the same profile for the boat.
Still pending an offer and survey professionally btw. Obviously, when
Hauled, If I buy her, I will want her out to do the bottom and electrolysis
damage. And I am deliberating the whole thing at this point anyway.

John and I went over the topside pretty well. We shall see where I end up
and I was posting this for those who have provide guidance, suggestions and
things for me to check.

Again, thanks very much.

More on this a30 later. BTW: I couldn't find the location of a plate which
had the hull number on it. Where are they located on an Alberg?

Regards,

David Bell - dai at pdq.net

The young bloods of the South; sons of planters,
lawyers about towns, good billiard players and
sportsmen, men who never did any work never will.
War suits them.. They are splendid riders, first
rate shots and utterly reckless. These men must
all be killed or employed by us before we can hope
for peace.

General W. T. Sherman

GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds.  Get rates as low as 2.9 percent
Intro or 9.9 percent Fixed APR and no hidden fees.  Apply NOW.