[alberg30] Depth Sounders Again

Rap1208 at aol.com Rap1208 at aol.com
Sat Jan 29 19:18:57 PST 2000

From: Rap1208 at aol.com

DLS, that is a good location for a depth sounder.  My data Marine is in a a
water box there.  (actualy, mineral oil) and sealed with a wax plug.  When
Idriled a hole for the knotmeter on the starboard side, down in the bilge, I
found it to be about 5/8" thick.
I would espect the hull there to be no more than that, perhaps 1/2".  My
sounder reads to about 97-99 ft, after that I get a msg signal to indicate
that the signal is missed.  I only encounter that depth in Lake Huron, or
MIchigan, and I know where I am when that happens. If you already have a
hole, you may have to fill and rebuild it before you install the water box.
My water box is a fiberglass tube, that is fitted and glassed against the
hull.  It is in a vertical position just behind the drawer, and is about a
foot or slightly more below the waterline.  so I have about a 1 foot
"cushion" on the reading, nice to know when the 4' alarm goes off.
Russ Pfeiffer

GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds.  Get rates as low as 2.9 percent
Intro or 9.9 percent Fixed APR and no hidden fees.  Apply NOW.