[alberg30] Depth Sounders Again

David Swanson zira at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 29 21:31:05 PST 2000

From: David Swanson <zira at mindspring.com>

All -

I am replacing the depth sounder in Strayaway Child #229.  I have looked
at several models with in-hull transducers.  My current sounder uses a
transducer mounted on the port side, under the settee just aft of the
head.  Two questions for anyone who has done this:

1. Some models state that they only work with hull thicknesses of 3/4 "
or less.  Is this a reasonable expectation in this area of the hull?
2. Most must be mounted relatively flat (parallel to the bottom).  How
do you accomplish this?  Build up a pad of epoxy?

Would I be better off to get a regular transducer & mount in a water
box?  I rarely sail in more than 25 feet of water, 10 to 15 most of the
time so absolute range is not an issue.

Thanks in advance.

dls
Strayaway Child
Alberg 30 #229

GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds.  Get rates as low as 0.0 percent
Intro APR and no hidden fees.  Apply NOW.