[alberg30] bilge pump strainer simplified

Bob Lincoln lincoln at cc.UManitoba.CA
Mon Jan 17 18:05:35 PST 2000

From: Bob Lincoln <lincoln at cc.UManitoba.CA>

Dan Spurr in Upgrading the cruising sailboat suggests using a
1/8" ss rod bent in a u shape around the hose and seized with
wire. I tried this, bending an old long bolt with the head
ground off on one side.  It seems to work.   I located the hose
by running it down the back of the aft bilge, until the bolt
touched bottom.  Then ran the hose up, away from the shaft as
much as possible to the side of the lockers and out.  Take the
shortest route if you can.  My whale pump is inside the port
locker. I can't say that having to open the lid and pump has
really been a problem, but a side lever would be more
convenient. I cleaned out that bilge as best I could, but could
not retrieve a plastic gas can top, so that will be my
millennium time capsule.
Bob Lincoln
Indigo 590