[alberg30] (no subject)

dai at pdq.net dai at pdq.net
Wed Jan 19 06:29:11 PST 2000

From: "dai at pdq.net" <dai at pdq.net>

Hi:

This goes back into the query that I originally posted, and relates to
the many various comments as I viewed the boat for the first time last
weekend and what it would take to get the boat in sailing condition
first and then refit as funds are available.

1. It appears that you could sail it right now.
2. The boat has been neglected.
3. The engine is rebuilt.
4. I see no errs in electronic defects but they certainly could be
present.
5. The topside woodwork is a shambles, at the very least needing total
refinish and/or replacement. Below, it is sand, clean, varnish, spit, polish
and check fittings, fixtures, ports, leakages, and so on. But the bright
work effort below is totally cosmetic, not broken. The boat has not been
cleaned, so starting there forward.
6. The sail inventory is good and the main is good, but the other 4 sails
are unknown quality/condition at this time. There is an extra main and Jib
presumably from original(previous) usage. But at least the inventory
of sails to use is: Storm, spin, stay, jib, genoa, main from what I
understand.
7. All of the stainless topside is usable. I could not check the top end,
spreaders, etc from the deck but it all appears at initial glance to be
usable.
8. The boat had no oder, didn't have a musty smell, so it appears to be
dry. I will be working on that this weekend, starting the engine, getting into
the nooks, ascertaining the state of the bilge, pump, and so on.
9. The electrolysis situation is the unknown factor, but at least it means
hauling, and while hauled, paint the bottom so that when it is put back
in the water, below the waterline is complete. Of course, the varied cost
of this repair will be the unknown factor but that is, apparently why the

Everyone who has contributed has made a fine effort at assistance. There
has been too much to digest and respond to individually.

The concept of buying a boat that will require work is one thing, as
opposed to another in better condition boat requiring less. The cost of
the effort spread across a year or so plus the labor involve is not an
issue. The outlay of funds immediately is at question....If I can sail
the boat after putting it back in the water and work on the various
projects over the next year or so, I should have a boat in good condition
by the end of next year, presuming a purchase over the next month or so.

The observation I would make about shelling out 10K or better is that
I find that to be more difficult with 2 teenagers about to head to
college. It would entail a purchase of a different boat and that is
not good or bad, just the fact of life about what is there and available
at what cost and for what intended purpose.

I don't want to be making payments on a boat at that time
about 2 years from August. I can spread a few thousand dollars in
restructuring the boat, putting up new stainless cables and so on
across that time, and so on. The Bright work below will be elbow greese
and time consuming. Above, more expensive individually due to having
to replace much of it. The cabin and deck appear to be fine. I will
do my best to ascertain the extent of core damage but it appears to be
a stable situation. Leakage between deck and hull is another item that
I will look at.

I have been following along with all the comments and figure to know
a lot more after the weekend. An offer would then be something I
might entertain. At least I will have a 2nd pair of eyes along to assist.

To the gentleman who commented on the Pearson, it was the wanderer as
you thought. It is in horrible shape although it also might be rebuilt.

Again, Thanks to all for taking their time. in my behalf.

David Bell dai @pdq.net

Sign up for eLerts at: