[alberg30] 1966 boat

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Wed Jan 19 07:15:35 PST 2000

From: George Dinwiddie <gdinwiddie at min.net>

David,

Let me see if I can recap a bit:

This boat seems to be in basically functional condition.
There are numerous cosmetic issues.
Equipment such as electronics and sails are definitely
	not new, but functional.
Some exterior woodwork is damaged or worn to the extent
	that it requires replacing.
It has been reported to you that there is some electrolytic
	damage to the shaft, prop and rudder.
The boat has been repowered with a Vetus 20HP diesel.
Asking price is $13.5K, but you think you can buy it for
	around $7K.

Is this a fair summary?

You mentioned some stress cracks in the gelcoat around the
windows.  On an older A30 with the masonite core, this is
more cosmetic than serious.  (On a newer boat, this can
allow water infiltration to the balsa core.)  Still, I would
suggest scraping them with a sharpened "church key" and
filling them.  It's a small job.

Shafts and props are easily, though not cheaply, replaced.
You should be able to get a quick quote on that.  It's
probably a 7/8" shaft and a 13x12 prop.  That's close
enough for the estimate, anyway.  I'd figure on replacing
them and, if you don't have to do so, it's a gift.  Pieces
like the rudder shoe and the pintles and gudgeons are a
bit different.  I've heard that there are some J24(?) pintles
and gudgeons that are similar enough to use.  Others have had
pieces cast or milled for replacements.  It's certainly not
an insurmountable problem.  If the post at the bottom of the
rudder (where it engages the shoe) is worn or missing, that
too can be fixed.  You may find that it's a 1/2" bronze bolt
with the head cut off and you can remove and replace it.
Otherwise, the fix is to drill and tap it for such a bolt.
If the 1" bronze rod is too far gone, you may need to replace
that.  On the older boats this is reportedly easier than it
was on my newer boat.

Check the heat exchanger on the Vetus.  I don't know if it's
the same model, but that seems to be the weak link of the
Vetus, from what I've heard.

If the boat is satisfactory to sail other than the things I've
just discussed, I'd guess that the general condition is factored
into the asking price.  A lot depends on how much the cosmetic
problems bother you.  If you really want a brand-new looking boat,
this one will probably never do.

Don't underestimate the amount of work it takes to bring something
back.  On the other hand, if you can take enjoyment from it (and
sail the boat in the mean time), it can be just part of the joy
of owning a boat.  Take a hard look at the costs of the items that
need or probably need fixing immediately.  Come up with a price that
satisfies you.  I've a friend who took an older boat that had been
neglected, in the water, for 12 years and restored it to beautiful
condition.  It was a lot of work, but the results were worth it.

Good luck with it.  I hope you're happy with whatever decision you
make.

 - George