[alberg30] Addendum to 66 ALBERG 30

dai at pdq.net dai at pdq.net
Wed Jan 19 06:46:43 PST 2000

From: "dai at pdq.net" <dai at pdq.net>

Paul:

Yes, I understand that the cost of paying for the work and the actual cost
of wood which is to be replaced can be extensive. The hatch, and so on is
okay. Refinish and so on. The cockpit area has the most extensive damage, two
items around the cockpit needing the be replace but a lot of it is refinish
effort as opposed to total replacement. I was speaking about the cost in
materials, etc, for refinishing the wood, as opposed to replacing it.

I haven't got an estimate on what needs to be replaced, but I will have a
check list completed after the weekend so I could tell you more then.

I appreciate again, your thoughts. I doubt it is an 8k project. More likely
in the 2-4k range altogether. I can do the stainless, suaging, and so on
above deck myself...so, I am estimating there that to build it back to
standard or better, would be another 2K. The engine is okay, so next would
be fine finish, additions of equipment, and so on. The bottom and corrosive
situation is my biggest concern.

I can handle the removal of paint, refinish, and repaint the bottom. I don't
know about the state of the rudder, fixtures, prop, shaft, thru hull tube,
seals, and so on. At least I can say about that is that the boat is in the
water and I know the bottom needs paint and until I survey it, I won't have
a completed concept of the effort required.

Also, although I do know that time is money, at least it will be well spent on
a worthy project, for me, the boat, for the boat itself, and maybe even
getting
my two teens out on the water with me...and maybe they can put some of their
young muscles into the projects themselves(Not counted on though). My younger
son is interested so if he gets into it, I have found a catalina 22 for 500 to
rework for him. A lot of work but for a 15 year old, a real fine start once
we get it done. He can race it Clear Lake. Oh. maybe in the process, I will
begin to build a dinghy. Or more and sell them. Something I thought about
doing
that I may take up on the side, in the winter, in the barn. I am tired of
scooping horse poop, although as Woodrow said, "It didn't hurt me any". Gus
allowed that it didn't help either.

Dai