[alberg30] (no subject) - more.....on the 66 A30

Rap1208 at aol.com Rap1208 at aol.com
Thu Jan 20 18:37:45 PST 2000

From: Rap1208 at aol.com

Dai, That hatch was originally wood, I'll bet.  Maybe its been glassed.  God
if it has, the teak plywood had a tendency to weather away.  I painted mine
with white easy poxy two years ago.  About 4 coats. The top layer of the
plywood was almost gone.  It's cooler below, and I don't have to play with
that teak anymore.  Those toe rails , at least on mine, were some kind of
cheap teak, that does not look like Burmese teak when it is cleaned.  Never
gets that golden look.  Check the wood under the genoa track rail.  I don't
know what Whitby used, but it rots away.  I  have replaced the wood under the
jib track with teak, and plan to do the same with the genoa track.  Alberg
addicts don't like to admit it, but Whitby cut a lot of corners when they
built this boat, partly because the Cheassapeke associaton wanted a bulk buy,
and drove the price down.  The old ice box drain taped into the cockpit drain
is one thing.  I replaced mine a few years ago.  Its  just a cheap piece of
steel inside the hose, and outside the hose, with a short steel tube fasted
to it.  Mine was so rusty it scared me. It is below the water line, and if it
broke, or leaked, it would sink the boat in a pretty short time.   I replaced
the cockpit drain hose, and let the Ice drain into the blige, and pump it out
from there/ I don't have smells, and if you ever do, dump a half bottle of
lysol cleaner in the bilge, wait a while, and pump.  I have used a product
called Teak Nu with some success.  You will see it advertised in Sailing, for
instance.  It's water based. and two coats last about a year.  Easy to touch
up, and water clean up.  I think it' s made in Ohio.
I get al hot and sweaty just thinking of all the work you have to do.
Regards,  Russ

PS.  Another area, is that stupid gate valve for the waterm supply for the
head.  take it out and put in a ball valve, with a handel so you can see if
it's opeor closed.  Leave it closed unless you are useing it. The head is
below the waterline too, and if it isn't shut off, you can sink the boat  I
replaced the gate valve for the engine water intake,  It was leaking, and
couldn't be repaired.