[alberg30] small traditional day cruiser

SandersM at aol.com SandersM at aol.com
Mon Jan 31 07:09:19 PST 2000

From: SandersM at aol.com

In a message dated 1/31/00 6:02:11 AM, RABBIT649 at aol.com writes:

>    What's out there in traditional hulls from 20-28' with a big cockpit
>and  little or no cabin, for weekending and gunkholing a big bay?

Oh gosh, that depends.  I spent an awful lot of time thinking about just the
sort of boat you're looking for before before I bought my A30, so I have no
lack of ideas on the subject.  Since it takes us away from A30s, we can take
the discussion off-list if others find it objectionable.  But since you asked

If you're willing to shoulder the added cost and work of a wooden boat -- and
it's not monumental when you get down to boats in this range -- then there
are a vast array of options.  Two easy ways to explore the wooden boat
market:  (1) WoodenBoat magazine, and (2) the Cannell, Page & Payne brokerage
up in Camden, Maine.   One object of my boatlust is called a Laurinkoster, a
28-foot double-ended sloop from Sweden.  Gray & Gray (York, ME)  has one
listed at $24k, and the listing and a drool-provoking photograph is posted
online at

http://www2.yachtworld.com/boats/view_result.cgi?boat_id=29083&units=&listing_
id=1572&page=broker

Another beauty is the Alerion-class sloop designed by Nat Herreshoff.  It's a
26-footer with a small cuddy cabin, very sweet lines.  The originals were
built in wood and gaff-rigged, but forget about them.  For a while in the
early 1980s, they were built cold-molded out on Martha's Vineyard by a place
called Sanford Boats with a masthead rig; the boats combined the beauty of
wood with the maintenance characteristics of a glass boat.  Jimmy Buffett
owned one, called Savannah Jane.  More recently, Gary Hoyt has tried to
reproduce the design in fibreglass, with mixed success.  They are pretty, but
I've heard that Tillotson-Pearson has skimped on the construction.

Another very pretty boat in this class is called a Sakonnet 23, built by Edey
& Duff, the smae people who built the Crockett-designed the Stone Horse in
glass.  The Sakonnet  is currently in production; it's another canoe-stern
sloop, no cabin, strictly a daysailor/gunkholer, draws less than 2 feet with
the board up, very pretty, but not cheap.  I don't know if there are any in
brokerage yet, but Edey & Duff would be a good place to start.  You can see
the boat and the usual propaganda at this URL:

http://www.by-the-sea.com/edey&duff/edsakon.html

Okay, now, if money's not an object, I've saved the best for last.  There is
a French builder of several traditional French boats in this range that are
just exquisite:  A 23-foot daysailor called Tofinou, and a 26-footer with a
small cabin called Tadorne.  You can see them at

http://www.classic-boats.com/

Price?  As J.P. Morgan once replied in response to a query as to the asking
price of his yacht:  "If you have to ask, you can't afford it."

Okay, I could run on forever on this subject, and I apologize for doing so
for the third time in three days.  I should probably get back to my day job
now.

Sanders.

GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds.  Get rates as low as 2.9 percent
Intro or 9.9 percent Fixed APR and no hidden fees.  Apply NOW.