[alberg30] Chlorination of Ship's Fresh Water-things not to do

alberg30 alberg30 at interactive.net
Mon Jul 10 19:35:29 PDT 2000

I just opened my fresh water tank for inspection last weekend, and Holy
Cow, I had science experiment going on down there that made Aliens look
like a picnic.

While I am a nine-fingered self-proclaimed genius, I realized that for
the last two years, while in dry dock, I had left the water tank
partially full. What a rocket scientist!! To say there was mold and
other things growing inside the tank, would be an extreme
understatement.

After draining the tank several times, giving it a scrubbing--as much as
was accessible- and then treating with Clorox beach, I am wondering what
else I should be doing to try and fix this mess. I have circulated the
new bleach water through the system, and will be installing a carbon
filter soon enough. Any rule on how long to keep the bleach or chlorine
in the tank? Do I get a test kit and just keep testing-and purging with
chemicals? With the addition of chemicals in the water system, can I
reverse the effects of this mold-growing crisis?

Thanks for your help;

Joe #499
"One Less Traveled"