[alberg30] Keel damage/repair

Andy Vine andyv at intergate.bc.ca
Tue Jul 11 21:02:35 PDT 2000

I'm looking for advice on repairing some damage I inflicted on the keel of
Anila Vara #175 in the process of trying to move a stupidly located rock!
The point of impact was at the bottom of the forefoot on the starboard side,
about 8 inches above the flat bottom of the keel. The top layers of
fiberglass were removed from an oval shaped area about 12 inches long by 6
inches wide.  After grinding the area off there was moisture seeping through
in a couple of spots.  In order to find out the extent of the seepage, we
drilled some holes right through the fiberglass.  It appears the moisture is
fairly localised to the damaged area. We then blew compressed air into
several of the "wet" holes. This forced more water out of the other holes.
We've now left it overnight with heat playing on the area. My questions are
as follows:
1. Has anyone had experience with this type of repair and experiences,
lessons to share?
2. In drilling through the fiberglass it appears as if there is a soft,
porous filler material between the glass and iron keel. If this is the case,
what is the material and how porous is it? Can it be dried out? If so how?
3. What are the implications of a small amount of moisture staying in the
keel cavity?

Any and all advice appreciated.  If it has to come with comments on my
navigational abilities, so be it!
Andy Vine

LOW RATE, NO WAIT!
Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!  Get rates
as low as 2.9% Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees.
http://click.egroups.com/1/6629/10/_/476031/_/963378206/