[alberg30] Keel damage/repair

Rick Leach rleach at mbayaq.org
Wed Jul 12 07:34:12 PDT 2000

Andy,

A couple of thoughts about your situation:

A) Trying to dry-out an enclosed area can be difficult, but may be aided by
flushing with acetone or isopropyl alcohol (safer) and adding long, slow
heat.  This would be after draining as well as possible via strategically
placed holes.

B) I have never seen the keel filler material and cannot comment, but I do
know that the ballast is iron.  I'm not sure what the ratio is, but I know
that iron expands considerably when converting to iron oxide (rust).  Given
the nature of the containment of the material, and the potential for damage
to the laminate from expanding ballast, I would make every effort to get as
much moisture out as possible.

C) My experience with repairing holes through the hull has been from
eliminating unnecessary through-hulls, not down around the ballast, but the
method would be the same.  I carefully ground an even 12:1 bevel around the
hole (if the hole is through 1" fiberglass the "crater" would extend 12" out
from the edge of the hole) . Then using 10 ounce fiberglass cloth, I cut a
patch that covered the hole by 1/2" around the edge.  Then I cut another
patch that overlapped the first patch by 1/2".  I continued to expand the
size of the patches until they were the same diameter as the outside edge of
the "crater".  Once all of the patches were cut, I started laying them up
with System 3 epoxy resin. The 12:1 taper matches the build-up rate of 10
ounce cloth with 1/2" overlaps and results in a neat, sound repair that
requires minimal filling or grinding to achieve a nice, fair surface.  There
are a few tricks & techniques to makes this procedure neater and easier, if
you think you might use this method, let me know and I'll elaborate.  I'd
also encourage you to read Don Casey's book "Sailboat Hull & Deck Repair"
(catchy title, huh?).

D) They say there are two types of sailors...those who have grounded and
those who will.  Don't sweat it.

Good luck, and (try to) have fun.

Rick Leach
Sugar Magnolia, #121