[alberg30] Water Box for Dept Sounder

Bill Newman bnewman at netcom.ca
Tue Jul 18 05:53:07 PDT 2000

I put out a question a couple of weeks ago about mounting a depth
sounder transducer in the Alberg.  I can't remember who responded but
the recommendations was for the water box method.  I did this this week
with a President brand depth sounder using the transducer provided for
installing in a hole in hull.  I made a water box from 3" PVC pipe and
mounted it in the same spot with epoxy, where to old one was installed,
in the forward section under the port settee.  I mounted the transducer
in the pipe cap with two flanges.  The bottom of the transducer is about
11/2" from the hull in the water box.  I am not getting any proper deep
water readings.  It seems to be OK in shallow water (i.e. 7 or 8 ft.).
I have played with the sensitivity adjustment, the only adjustment, to
no avail.  I used water in the box to see if it worked but would replace
it with mineral oil before the cold weather.

Does anyone have any ideas?  Should the transducer face be a certain
distance from the hull surface inside the box?

Bill Newman
Marion Rose III #233

Great brand name shoes at Zappos.com.
Click Here!