[alberg30] Water Box for Dept Sounder

Peter Hay phay at netcom.ca
Tue Jul 18 07:10:00 PDT 2000

Bill:  I bought my boat a few years ago and it has a similar setup.  The
water box is in the skins locker about 10" vertical inches above the cabin
sole.  I used water but found it only worked for a trip out and then it
quit.  This year I used common baby oil and again it worked first time--then
it quit.  I believe the problem is an air bubble forming just below the
transducer.  Last week I drilled two holes beside the transducer (it sits on
a water box that is about 4" wide at the top and 6" wide at the bottom) on
the same plane as the transducer.  I used a small syringe to force more oil
in one hole.  I was surprised to find that no oil came out the other hole so
my theory about air must be correct.  I did not completely fill the box, but
decided to try it.  It worked again.  I will now fill the remainder and take
a test run.  You will have figure out how to evacuate air without evacuating
oil.  That's my thinking anyway!!!
Best of luck
Peter Hay
phay at netcom.ca