[alberg30] stuffing box

marc porter marcroberts at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 19 10:14:59 PDT 2000

	I am wondering if any of you have advice on repacking
the stuffing box.  Our engine (the orignal Atomic 4)
is out so we have excellent access to the shaft.  We
removed the packing nut and did not see any stuffing
at all.  What is the standard size for the stuffing?
The problem I am having is that inside the rubber hose
about an inch and a half back there is what appears to
be a piece of pvc pipe.  I am wondering if this is
normal.  If so, do you push the stuffing between the
shaft and the pvc pipe (as I’m assuming)?  And why is
the pvc pipe there?  I have 1/8” stuffing and have had
a lot of trouble fitting it between the pipe and the
shaft?  Does anyone have any suggestions or pointers?
	By the way, how are you supposed to do this with the
motor in the boat?

Marc Porter
Peter Boyd

http://mail.yahoo.com/