[alberg30] (unknown)

Robert Kirk kirk at neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Jul 4 15:53:29 PDT 2000

At 03:14 PM 04-07-00 -0400, Alan P. Kefauver wrote:
>Hello,
>Once again my main halyard has jumped out of the aft sheave and wedged
>itself between the mast and the sheave. This is getting ridiculous! What
>solutions have others devised for this problem. I think one of the
>problems is that the halyard comes down the front fo the mast, goes round
>a turning sheave, then through  a fixed eye on the cabin top to a reel
>halyard (widow maker) winch. Does anyone else have this arrangement? Was
>this standard on early boats?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't standard. Our boats are the same vintage - '66
-  and mine has a single, large phenolic (!) sheave at the masthead held by
a stainless through-bolt with an aluminum sleeve around it acting as a
bearing.  I don't know if it was original, but the sheave was also held
between two aluminium plates which probably were intended to stabilize it
and help keep the wire from jumping out. The sheave groove is sized for
wire with a wire rope combination halyard. When I had the mast down a
couple of years ago I thought about going with a different sheave and
all-rope halyard. Decided not to because the current rig didn't show wear
and it wasn't jumping out, so I just replace the halyards with new wire
rope.  Rope will fit; I know of folks who have done it using the new
Stetson thin halyard lines.

My rig goes to a winch on the mast and I've had no problem with it.

I know some people replaced the single sheave with two smaller one as  you
describe, so that is probably what happened in your case.

Cheers,
Bob Kirk
Isobar #181