[alberg30] Simplicite Furler

berube5 Berube5 at home.com
Fri Jul 21 12:24:41 PDT 2000

Tim,

My Triton has a ProFurl (came with the boat- a few years old)...my
previous boat, an O'Day, had a Harken.

After using both, I prefer the Harken. The Harken is a lot more money-
but worked smoother (furling and unfurling) for me and it was much
easier (for me) to raise and lower sails singlehanded.

I find the ProFurl shackles to be small and fussy to work with - a pair
of needle nose pliers are required (the shackle end is recessed into the
furler mechanism).

The shackle itself inserts into the body of the mechanism. Its a tight
fit. I haven't figured out yet if the shackle is proprietary or
standard. I hope standard.

The drum seems a bit small on the unit installed on my boat. The line
pretty much fills it slam full when spooled up.

I can only speak from my experience, newer ProFurl units may be different.

You mileage may vary.

Best regards,

Dana Berube
#99 JADE
Narragansett Bay, RI

"Timothy C. Lackey" wrote:

> Is the ProFurl as good as everyone says?  I am leaning towards a Profurl for
> my Triton.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim

Wish you had something rad to add to your email?
We do at www.supersig.com.
http://click.egroups.com/1/6810/10/_/476031/_/964207508/