[alberg30] Roller Furling Considerations

Guy Lalonde lalondegc at videotron.ca
Sat Jul 22 08:14:39 PDT 2000

I'm all for roller furling and would not want anything else where I sail
(Ottawa River).

However they are mechanical devices and here are 2 things to watch out for
which happened to me. Regular inspection (especially at the masthead) and
maintenance should be high on one's list.

1. Halyard wrap. Most furler systems are tubes connected to each other
(which the forestay runs through), bearings of some kind at the top, where
the tubes join, at the bottom and them a drum. Halyard wrap occurs when
trying to furl or unfurl, the top end somehow snags the genoa halyard and it
wraps around the furler and can cause some serious damage up there. This is
why most systems have some sort of disc on top to keep the halyard away from
the furling system. Nigel Calder`s "Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical
Manual" has a chapter of roller furling systems which covers halyard wrap.
If the system has its own halyard, then this is one less thing to worry
about.

My brother was the previous owner of my A30 for barely one season. He
mentionned after an outing that the system jammed, seemingly at the top end,
and he had to use considerable force to unjam it. I bought the boat from him
at the end of that season and when I took the mast down I noticed the top
end of the forestay itself was unraveled, I could see daylight between the
outer strands. Could have been catastrophic. I don't know for sure that that
incident was the cause. Needless to say I replaced the forestay.

2. Drum jam. Jammed up last season. Good thing it happened in light winds.
Back at the marina, it unjammed after manipulating it. Don't know why it
jammed in the first place. Anyhow I have the drum at home and will  be
inspecting it soon. Probably the less moving parts there are the better.
Mine is a Merriman and I think they are no longer made. Depending on what I
find I may have to replace the whole system.

Guy