[alberg30] Jib Sag/Schaefer Furling

Bob Johns rjohns3 at optonline.net
Mon Jul 24 12:28:50 PDT 2000

>Peter, I have a Schaefer unit also, although I haven't had it on the boat for
>a while.  That sag you talk about will help on a reach, or in a chop, but not
>going to weather
>I can not get my boat to point high with that rig.  In fairly flat water, or
>little waves, I can sometimes point 85 degrees, and 90 is easy, with hanked
>on sails, not so with that roller furler
>Russ Pfeiffer

Peter and Russ,

The last 2 furling jibs I bought have had luff wires the same diameter as
the forestay (5/16 ?). With a two part halyard and winch the luff is
tighter than the forestay (actually the forestay goes slightly slack) and
the whole load is on the luff wire. Under these conditions it would seem
that the jib shouldn't sag off any more than a hanked on jib.

One advantage of a hanked on jib: You have more control with a hanked on
jib in that you  can adjust the jib halyard to control sail shape without
having the luff sag off. Since I don't race the Alberg, I don't know if
this is important to racers. I don't remember using this technique when we
raced a Mobjack, but maybe I just wasn't sophisticated enough. How about a
response from some of the racers?

Peter, you are right about the size of the drum. The reason my furling line
gets fouled on the drum is that it the drum is too full and turns fall off.
This only happens several times a season but it is a real pain when it
does. I do take the slack out of the furling line after setting the jib or
it would be more of a problem. As you say, a wire/rope furling line might
be an answer. You would have to be sure of the lead of the wire to be sure
that it doesn't rub on something like the cabin top and it is probably more
of a tripping hazard than a soft line. I thought of reducing the size of
the furling line but after seeing the jib of a moored Irwin 43 beat itself
to shreds in five minutes when the furling line parted I didn't care for
that idea. (It was during a gale - but we do get gales.) I like to have
enough turns on the drum so that when I furl the jib in a high wind (which
results in a more tightly furled jib) that I have about 2 or 3 turns wound
around the sail. This adds to the small drum problem. I also use a safety
line to further secure the jib.

Regards,
	Bob Johns, A30  #397

Free, Unlimited Calls Anywhere!
Conference in the whole family on the same call.
Let the fights begin!  Visit Firetalk.com - Click below.
http://click.egroups.com/1/5476/10/_/476031/_/964466939/