[alberg30] Westerbeke M320B

Peter Amos P.A.Amos at tesco.net
Thu Jun 8 15:38:49 PDT 2000

Tom, I have an M320B in "Tait Tait" 478. As an engine I have no complaints with it except that  the oil dipstick hole is in such an awkward place that the first time I checked the oil level it took me an hour to get the stick back in the hole.I think the prop I have is the old Atomic 3 blade 12x8 which allows me to get full revs , but a little to easily.When I get time I will do some research into the optimum prop for an A30/M320B combo .with a Hurth 2.05:1 reduction transmission.
The fitted fuel tank was 7gal. aluminium beneath the cockpit floor. A disaster.Everytime the boat pitched in any sort of sea the engine died through sucking air. Strongly recommend an 18 gal. tank fitted on the ledge in the starboard cockpit locker. West Marine and Boat U.S. both have them for about $140.
A useful addition is a diesel bleed switch in the engine compartment. I use a horn button wired from the back of the glow plug button in the cockpit. It works for me.I too have heard the Westerbeke/Kubota are the same and the Kubota parts are a lot less expensive but I havent checked that out yet.
Peter.
P.A.Amos @tesco.net.U.K.