[alberg30] Andante sails!

Alan P. Kefauver apk2 at home.com
Wed Jun 7 19:05:42 PDT 2000

Andante, Hull#152, has made her maiden post rebuild shakedown sail. Everything works. No leaks, except one (later). The rebuilt engine is as smooth as silk and very quiet. I had an insurance survey yesterday and Clyde Eaton of Annapolis said he thought the engine was better than when it was new. Today, it powered Andante up to hull speed very quicky and tried to ride her over her own bow wave. Lots of power and torque.

Now, about that leak. As I approach hull speed, water tends to seep (run) up the rudder shaft into the cockpit. Not a lot, but enough to be a nusiance. Couldn't go that fast today under sail (light winds up here) so don't know if this is just an issue while just under power or not. Can anything be done to tighten/pack the rudder shaft while in the water?

Lastly, the former owner, Lou Maas, had replaced the standard water pump with a Sherwood Brass pump which uses a 2.25 inch impeller with a .5 inch shaft. I am having trouble finding these. Anyone have any clues as to where to get them. The original was chewed up by the engine rebuilder and the backup is now in use. I'd like to have a spare or two.

Hope to see many of you this summer on the Chesapeake. We are going to try to make a few rendevous's. Won't make it to Harness Creek this week end, but...

Helluva boat.

Alan
Andante #152

Would you like to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on saving
more each month? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you Long Distance
rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!
http://click.egroups.com/1/2567/8/_/476031/_/960430081/