[alberg30] Trailers

Jack Vanderloo jvdloo at sympatico.ca
Thu Jun 8 12:35:11 PDT 2000

Thanks for the detailed response, Bob.  That's an excellent price and it
would seem worthwhile following up.

Do you have any idea of the unloaded weight of the trailer?  Specifically, I
wonder whether whether I could reasonably haul one back from Winnipeg to
Ottawa behind a 150hp Honda Accord.  (My wife's been looking for an excuse
to visit a close friend in Thunder Bay!)

W.r.t. your recently commenced sailing season on Lake Winnipeg (I assume),
is it true that the average depth there is in the order of 12'?  Having
experienced the worst weather and sailing experience of my 1998
single-handed cruise around 3 1/2 of the Great Lakes, in 16-17' at the
Western end of Lake Erie, I can only admire individuals who must do this as
a matter of course!  (Check out the March, 2000, issue of GAM - karin larsen
kindly reprinted my summarized log.)

Back to the trailer/cradle/keel angle, taking my lines off an elevation view
that I have of the A30, I would estimate it to be in the order of 2 or 3
degrees bow-down.  In reality, I always seem to have to raise my cradle by
what would seem to be about 5 degrees in order to get both the cockpit and
side decks to drain, respectively, fore and aft.  Hope someone responds with
the definitive solution.  Reminder: we're looking at the later A30 models
here, although there may be absolutely no variance from earlier versions.

Regards
Jack
ALDABI - KC641

Bob Lincoln wrote:

> Jack,
> My recollection is that last spring I paid about $3800
> with taxes.  A Bayfield 29 friend had an extra-heavy
> duty trailer built from his son's Autocad design for
> about $5000.  They look similar except for the supports
> which are much thicker and lower than my cradle.  The
> trailer was built by Sokal Industries in Winnipeg, just
> outside the perimeter highway.  I had got quotes from
> $4-5,000, and several places said they had never built
> a boat trailer and wouldn't try it.  I will be moving
> the cradle backwards six inches on the trailer this
> summer to balance it more and take some weight off the
> tongue.
> I noticed this winter that the boat is not level if
> resting on the keel.  Does anyone know what the slope
> is to make it level?
> Bob Lincoln
> Indigo #590

Old school buds here: