[alberg30] trailers

miabarchet at aol.com miabarchet at aol.com
Sat Jun 10 20:29:12 PDT 2000

As I was sailing today I was contemplating my next project. The caulk on the
toe rail is deteriorating. I believe it to be the source of leaks on to the
shelf in the V berth. I re-caulked the outside joint on the port side from
the bow to the genoa tract after a gelcoat repair. I spent several evenings
digging out the old caulk and some punky wood before I re-caulked. That
section looks good.  However the inside joint doesn't appear be an area where
it would be easy to do a good job.

I thought the most effective remedy would be to remove the entire toe and set
it in a bed of boat life silicone rubber.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to proceed?
How is the toe rail removed?
How is the haul to deck joint made? Would that need to be re-caulked?
Any suggestions as to type of caulk to use?

I thought I would do the job this fall after haul out.
Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Jim Allocco
Barchetta Mia  #565

http://click.egroups.com/1/4634/8/_/476031/_/960694168/