[alberg30] polishing the hull

Scott Wallace tristan at one.net
Sun Jun 11 13:33:33 PDT 2000

What kind of rubbing compound do you use?  Do you use a paste or liquid?  I have
rather severe gelcoat oxidation on my 1968 Bluenose 24...also is there a special
McGuires wax? or so they make only one?

Scott

finnus505 at aol.com wrote:

> Hey Joe,
> I am no expert in polishing gelcoat, which is not to say I haven't always
> polished my own boats!!
>
> A friend of mine is an auto body repairman, and he suggested that Mcguires
> car wax is the best on the market, and reccomended it highly. I have used it
> for at least 5 years on the topisides, and have been happy with the results.
>
> I also used an automotive rubbing compound on the chalky areas of the
> gelcoat, with very satisfactory results.  Remember, rubbing compound removes
> material, namely gel coat, so use it only when necessary.
>
> Once we awlgripped the Alberg 22, we stopped using the Mcguires on the
> topsides, because in the manufacturers instructions, they stated very clearly
> that on awlgrip, you should not use regular wax, but use a silicone type wax.
>
> Pay the 250 or do it yourself?  You already have the right electric buffer-
> if you can set up a sturdy work platform around the boat so that once youre
> ready to go, you just have to hold the buffer in place, ie; you dont have to
> reset up a ladder or something every six feet, the job will go fairly easily.
>  It's not like your scraping paint, but just letting the electric buffer do
> the job. Set up your 'scafolding' so your shoulders are at about mid topside
> height, amidships. Depending on how high off the ground your yard set your
> boat, ie; there is a three inch block under your keel, and the boat is held
> by jackstands, vs. the keel is three feet off the ground,  because the cradle
> is set on cinderblocks, you can use upside down 5 gallon cans supporting wide
> planks, or 50 gallon drums. If your boatyard doesn't have those kind's of
> things lying around, (boatyards are getting so neat these days!) then you
> might have to improvise, or even consider letting the yard do the job.  If it
> will cost 150 bucks to rent a scaffold, hardly worth the difference for you
> to do all that work!!!
>
> Its a miserable job, but its not as bad as doing the bottom!!
>
> Good luck,
> Lee
> Stargazer #255

Would you like to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on saving
more each month? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you Long Distance
rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!
http://click.egroups.com/1/2567/8/_/476031/_/960755633/