[alberg30] grabrails-solution

finnus505 at aol.com finnus505 at aol.com
Fri Jun 16 14:34:07 PDT 2000

Hi Friends.
Lots of talk about the handrails on the cabin top these days.

The one's on Stargazer are in awful shape- dry, blackened from years of
oxidising treak oil, grain raised significantly, and reduced diameter from
years neglect.

I was toying with the idea fo taking these old twigs off the boat, and
replacing the hand rails with the same style as the Pacific Seacraft rail.

They take a teak plank, 3/4 inch thick, by 3 inches wide.  This plank
 is placed on the flat on fibergalss islands, roughly at the spacing of the
old handrails fastening points.  We of course, can make teak islands to do
the same thing.  Two bolts go through the handrail and island and cabin top,
to get a washer and nut below.  The straingh slotted bolt head is let into
the plank enough that a bung can be placed.

I think this type of hanrail is much stronger.  It is easier to stand on when
working with the main, and anything that is secrued to it, like bumpers, or
an inlatable dinghy, or a rigid dinghy, will be more likesly to stay put.

Fastening the inner, traditionaly shaped rail should not be too diffcult.  I
we dan line up the bolt holes from the upper rail to go into the old holes in
the inside rail, there should be no problems.

What do you think?
Lee
Stargazer #255

Want some interesting reading?  Join the Columbia Yacht owners assn. list.
Nice website.  Very similar to ours=very friendly people, nice anecdotes, and
lots of information and sources that apply to both organizations boats.
columbiasailingyachts at egroups.com

http://click.egroups.com/1/5543/8/_/476031/_/961191253/