[alberg30] grabrails-solution

Tom Sutherland sutherlandt at prodigy.net
Sat Jun 17 10:45:16 PDT 2000

Lee .... I have seen this type hand rail and thought the same thing.
Simpler to make and probably more functional than the traditional.

For those who  like the original more traditional handrails, check out
page 217 in This Old Boat by Don Cassy. (A very good book to have by the
way)  These are not near as hard to make as one might think. They really
turn out very nice if you have any woodworking skills at all. It will
require a router, and either a band saw or a nice saber saw. You may
want to practice on a piece of scrap before you start on your Teak.

Thanks also for the Columbia list info !

Tom S
# 412

finnus505 at aol.com wrote:

 ...... I was toying with the idea fo taking these old twigs off the
boat, and

> replacing the hand rails with the same style as the Pacific Seacraft
> rail.
>
> They take a teak plank, 3/4 inch thick, by 3 inches wide.  This plank
> is placed on the flat on fibergalss islands, roughly at the spacing of
> the
> old handrails fastening points.  We of course, can make teak islands
> to do
> the same thing.  Two bolts go through the handrail and island and
> cabin top,
> to get a washer and nut below.  The straingh slotted bolt head is let
> into
> the plank enough that a bung can be placed..........
>
> Want some interesting reading?  Join the Columbia Yacht owners assn.
> list.
> Nice website.  Very similar to ours=very friendly people, nice
> anecdotes, and
> lots of information and sources that apply to both organizations
> boats.
> columbiasailingyachts at egroups.com

TRAVEL FOR PENNIES ON THE DOLLAR! Get dozens of the best travel agents
competing for your business with our new FREE service.
http://click.egroups.com/1/5571/8/_/476031/_/961265045/