[alberg30] outboard engines

Thomashmcd at aol.com Thomashmcd at aol.com
Sat Jun 24 08:56:56 PDT 2000

Well. I  built an outboard well into Sensei, using the wall (bulkhead?) at
the front of the lazarette, and I am quite happy with it.  However, it is
certainly not very effective in a large chop nor does it offer the range of a
desiel, thus I have no intention of removing my inboard desiel   (I am
particulary sensitive to the noise and smell of the desiel!)  My johnson 10HP
long shaft is much less noisy and smelly than the desiel, and also much
smoother, and the arrangement also provides for directional thrust when
manuvering in a tight spot. I can literally spin in a circle!  All the
controls are right there by the tiller, making for very easy operation of the
tiller and engine simultaneously, and I find it very easy to lift in and out
from the well rather than from the transom. I like having the extra security
of a second engine and it's nice to have along to use on the dingy as well.
I spent many days agonizing over whether to take a sawsall to the hull of of
the likes of an alberg, which by the way was about 1 1/2" thick at the center
where the layers overlapped.  I'm sure this will be cause for a good
AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGG among the A-30 purists, but I am very happy with the
results!

Tom, Marina Del Rey, Los Angeles
Sensei, #049

Gain peace of mind, and take control of the accuracy of your credit report.
Sign up for a FREE online credit report from ConsumerInfo.Com!
http://click.egroups.com/1/5785/10/_/476031/_/961862232/