[alberg30] outboard engines

finnus505 at aol.com finnus505 at aol.com
Sat Jun 24 15:55:04 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/22/00 3:22:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
blancs at altavista.com writes:

<<
 Disregarding the onomatopoeia of the purists for a minute, if you could
figure out a way to mount an outboard so that you couldn't see it under sail
or power, I think it would be a terrific solution... less noisy, less
intrusive into the living space, easier to work on (at home on a sawhorse -
sigh) etc.

 If you figure it out, I, for one, would love to hear about it.

 On  >>
Hey guys,

Not to pour lower unit oil on all of your plans for upgrading you Alberg 30s
with an outboard, I too have two cents on the matter. (surprised?)

My beloved Alberg 22 which I have gone on and on and on about for other
reasons in this list, had an outboard in a well.

The well was a very sturdy construction on the forward floor of the aft
lazarette. Four walls, for, aft, port and stbd, were very thick constructions
of what I would guess were a plastic  or woodend mold that was encapsulated
in many layers of fiberglass.

As I said, this 'box' open at the top and bottom was immensely strong. The
clamps for the outboard were tightened on the forward face of the box.

The top of thebox was more or less parrallel to the waterlind, so it was the
bottom of the kbox  That took the angle of the rising counter stern.  When
the engine was in, all you could see was the bit of the lower unit between
the bottom of the counter of the boat, and the waterline.

Beccause the top of the box was only  about 8 or 10 inches above the
waterline, when she heeled over under sail, water would plop over the top of
the box, and swirl around the entire lazzarette.  An athwaerships waterproof
bulckhead between the forward end of the lazzarrete kept the compartmant
water tight in relation to the rest of the boat.
When it was really rough, >20 kts. with a steep chop,ALOT of water swishd
around in the well, and when we were power sailing, with not that extreme a
pitcch, the 8 hp yamaha would get nearlyy sunberged. I don't think the engine
was ever totoly immeressed, but the water was definitely half way up the
cover for the upper unit. It would all empty out when the stern pitched up,
and the bow down.

Another thing you should know about outboards in wells, is they need a good
air source, and a ready course for the exhast overboard.  Our set up was a
huge lazzarett hatch that had two 3 inch airhorns in it.  But the air horns
were insufficient. If we tried to motor with the hatch closed, the engine
would choke and cut out.
 When the engine was on, the lazzarette hatch was opened all the way, with a
clip on the backstay for just that purpose.  On windless days that we had to
motor, those exhaust fumes filled the cock[it.  Fortunately, we rarely
motored that boat.  She was such a beautiful, balanced sailor, that we could
pull up to dock 'without
cracking an egg' as they say.

I saw an interesting design on a couple of early 60's Seafarer boats, which
seems to be a morepractical solution..  The engine clamps were mmounted on a
very strong 'bracket' that is at the forward end of the lazzarete.  The motor
swung up more than 90 degrees, into the 'lazarette.  When the motor was up,
two fiberglass door swung up to hide the engine completely!  When the engine
was down, you could not close the doors, and I could see where that might be
a problem in rough weather. But then why should you need the engine if there
is all that wind?  Sophmoric question, of course.  How many times have we all
power sailed to dodge a squall, keep a meeting date, make a draw bridge in
time, etc.
I'm sure the vintage aircraft gang among us is already thinking of the
landing gear doors on the old Mustangs, P51's.  The door is made of two
parts' ;one that rideson the strut of the landing gear itself, then a second
door which attaches to the wing, and opens to let the wheel of the landing
gear go by, and then closes again, to decrease drag.
It shouldn't be too hard to design a similar system for the boat.  You will
lose most of the space of the lazzarete, of course, but if you don't mind
that, no problem.  I saw this on a 24 foot seatarer, and a 32, (or 34?)
The larger boat had a 25 hp Johnson in the well, with all remote controls
seading to the cockpit. Because these doors were so long, the engine got the
ventilation it needed.

The Pearson Ariel, another alberg design, had a setup very similar to the
Alberg 22. For the times you wanted to race, or just sail without the engine
slowing you down, Pearson had made a 'hatch' for the well.  This was a
fiberglass ;plugg' that fit into the well, and fastened down with wingnuts.
The bottom of this plug set just even with the gell coat on the bottom of the
countre, and was even molded with the contours of the ccounter at that point.
 I made a homemade version for the Alberg 22.  It fit fine, and kept the well
and lazzarette dry, but the only problem was there no real place to stow the
engine on the 22!  On the Arial, the extra beam of the boat allowed the
outboard to go into the aft lazarette.  Very convenient.
Though it may be obvius, I just have to say that if you are planneing to sail
your boat in protected water where there is always a cove or a place to drop
an anchor to waitout bad weather, then the outboard propbably will be
sufficient auxillary power for your purposes.  But, if you think you  may go
out into the big blue stuff, you should have an inboard that you can depend
on, and won't get dunked on a pitching stern of a big boat.

Hope this helps,
Lee
Stargazer #255

Get 6 months of FREE* MSN Internet access!
http://click.egroups.com/1/5725/10/_/476031/_/961887314/